Sedation dentistry is the term used to describe medically induced relaxation techniques used during dental procedures. Periodontists offer various forms of sedation to help patients feel more comfortable receiving periodontal care and to help make particularly invasive and lengthy procedures easier.
If you’re considering sedation for an upcoming procedure, you may be wondering how much it costs. Here’s what you can expect when it comes to the cost of sedation dentistry in Hartford County, Connecticut.
Average Cost of Sedation by Type
Here are the different types of sedation that may be used for dental and periodontal procedures and the average cost associated with each:
- Nitrous oxide: $100. The cost of nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is typically calculated by the hour. One hour of nitrous oxide sedation may cost anywhere from $100 to $300 or more.
- Conscious oral sedation: $150-$500. An oral sedative can be prescribed that you take in pill or liquid form before your dental procedure so that it has time to take effect. The cost of an oral sedative can range anywhere from $150 to $500.
- IV sedation: $250-$900. IV sedation is administered intravenously and provides a deeper level of sedation. The cost averages somewhere between $250 and $900 depending on the length of the procedure and other factors.
Factors That Affect the Cost of Sedation
The average cost of sedation varies greatly depending on a variety of factors:
- Type of sedation. As you can see above, the cost of sedation varies depending on the type. Nitrous oxide is the least expensive and provides the lightest level of sedation. IV sedation provides the deepest level of sedation, which costs more because it requires a more costly type of medication and more careful monitoring of the patient.
- Length of the procedure. The cost of sedation is often calculated according to the length of the procedure. The longer you are under sedation, the higher the cost will be.
- Location of the practice. Geographical location always affects the price of services, and sedation is no different. Some practices will charge more than others according to the cost of living in the area.
- Brand of medication used. There are a variety of different medications used for sedation. Brand name medications often cost more than generic, so ask your dentist if there is a generic option available.
Is Sedation Covered by Insurance?
Unfortunately, sedation is not considered to be medically necessary for many dental procedures, so it is not typically covered by insurance. In certain cases you may be able to claim that it is necessary, which is something that can be discussed between you, your dentist, and your insurance provider.
Is Sedation Worth the Cost?
If you feel nervous or anxious about an upcoming dental procedure, sedation may be worth the cost if it helps you relax and reduces your stress. Dental anxiety can be severe for some people, making it difficult to get the dental care you need. There are ways to make it more affordable, such as financing and payment options if you feel that sedation is in your best interest.
Why Choose Holzinger Periodontics & Dental Implants?
Your comfort is our top priority, which is why we offer sedation dentistry for our patients who request it. There’s no reason you should have to be afraid of getting dental and periodontal care, and sedation can put an end to your fears, both immediately and even for the long term. You can stop worrying and get relief of your dental anxiety with the help of sedation dentistry.
To learn more, contact us today to schedule an appointment at one of our convenient office locations.