Do you need to have a tooth replaced? If your tooth is damaged or decayed beyond saving or if you’ve lost a tooth previously, a dental implant is one option for replacing it. Dental implants are considered to be the highest quality tooth replacement option available. It is for this reason that dental implants are also the most expensive option.
What’s the cost of a dental implant for one tooth? The price varies based on a variety of factors. Here’s a general idea of what you can expect in terms of cost.
Average Cost of a Single Dental Implant
To replace just one tooth with a dental implant, the cost ranges from $3,000-$4,500 for the implant and crown. If you were getting just the root portion of the implant to support a bridge or dentures, that portion alone ranges from $2,000-$3,000.
Not every patient will be quoted the same price. Other factors can affect the cost, such as supplemental procedures like bone grafting, which will increase the overall cost. Different dental practices may offer different prices based on their level of experience and geographic location. The only way to know for sure what it will cost you personally is to visit a periodontist for a consultation.
Why Do Dental Implants Cost So Much?
A dental implant completely replaces a natural tooth and its’ root. The implant is surgically placed in the jaw where it fuses with the bone to form a solid bond. A porcelain crown is attached to the top. The procedure is complex and it takes significant time and expertise of a skilled periodontist.
Does Insurance Cover Dental Implants?
Dental insurance does not typically cover dental implants. They are considered to be a cosmetic procedure, and insurance providers are only willing to cover less expensive tooth replacement options, such as a dental bridge. In some cases medical insurance will cover the root portion of the dental implant depending on the reason for the procedure.
Options for Making Dental Implants More Affordable
If your insurance doesn’t cover your dental implant procedure, or if it only covers a portion, talk to your dentist or periodontist about payment options. CareCredit is designed to cover out of pocket medical costs with little or no interest and affordable monthly payments. This allows you to pay off your procedure gradually.
Is a Dental Implant Worth the Cost?
Many patients wonder whether or not a dental implant is worth the cost. You may consider forgoing replacement of the tooth or going with a less expensive option like a bridge. But dental implants offer many benefits:
- Natural appearance. Dental implants more closely resemble natural teeth than any other artificial tooth options. The porcelain crown can be made to the exact shape and color of your existing teeth.
- Bite strength of a natural tooth. Because the implant root fuses with the bone, it offers the bite strength of a natural, healthy tooth. The same is not true of a dental bridge, which depends on the adjacent teeth to hold it in place (which can cause damage to the healthy teeth).
- Last a lifetime. Dental implants can last for more than 30 years and for most people they will last for the rest of your life. You’re making a lifelong investment in your dental health.
- Prevent bone loss in the jaw. When a tooth is extracted or missing, the jaw bone and support structures that held it in place will start to deteriorate and eventually dissolve completely. But a dental implant prevents this from happening, preserving the structure of the bone in your jaw.
- Keep existing teeth from shifting out of place. If you opt to not replace the tooth, the gap left allows the other teeth to shift out of position, causing additional gaps and leaving teeth more susceptible to decay. A dental implant helps to keep the teeth in proper alignment.
Ask the Experts at Holzinger Periodontics and Dental Implants
If you want the best tooth replacement option but you’re concerned about the cost, Holzinger Periodontics makes dental implant affordable for patients. We accept many different forms of payment and recommend CareCredit for financing. It is our goal to provide our patients with the best quality care regardless of financial status.
Call 860-347-8457 to schedule a consultation at our Middletown office or 860-224-0433 for our New Britain office. You can also request an appointment. We look forward to restoring your smile in whatever way is best for you.